Saturday, April 18, 2009

To Better Inform and Communicate

I have found it hard to find the right tool to flow information easily to the community. There are many devices which I use and many of you may be familiar with those. I send regular articles to the local media, write a newsletter article once a month, send out information by way of email. Still it seems that the daily activities are not logged easily to keep people up to date and informed or at least not as much as I would like for the bar I have rasied. Part of this is due to the fact that the amount of information is overwhelming to me at times, as you may know I do not have a staff in my office, after all it is a small town. Part of it is I try to tackle what is important at the time, and what I can handle, so things are prioritized and put on hold. I came to the realization I can not do everything, even though I would like to, there is not enough time. Lastly, I do not always know what is going on with different parts of the organization all the time. Each department is carrying out a different mission, and they work under their own set of rules and regulations. I may have influence over the departments as Mayor, however when things run smooth, I usually do not hear anything. The Departments of the Village Government are as follows, Wastewater, Water, Law Enforcement (Police), Fiscal Officer, Utilities Clerk, Mayors Court. Currently there is not a street department, however the Village Council does contract maintenance foe streets. The legislature is the Council which is made up of six elected officials, which are broken down into working commitees. At this time the Village government only has 8 employees that are paid for their time or service. Three of which are appointed, which are the Fiscal Officer, Mayors Court Clerk, Magistrate. The other employees are the Utilities Clerk, two Police Officers, Water and Wastwater Supervisors. The Village operates it's Utilities and Service with very minimal staff. This is due largely to budget constraints, however there is an efficiency created by having a small and quality workforce.
I will attempt to use this blog to send information on thoughts and progress of activities as I know about them. Please bear with me, I may not post everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment