Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lynchburg Library May Close

















I have been informed that if the State Budget is approved the Lynchburg Library may be closing. A library is very important to any community, especially ours. The signs are already on the library windows, do not take my word, go and check it out. It is imperative to contact our State Rep and Senator immediately, if you wait one day it will be to late. It is already to late to send a letter, you must call or email them. I will provide you with the letter I sent and the information for our State Rep. and State Senator. Please feel free to use my letter as a template.
Please help save the Lynchburg Library.
Thank you,
Jeremy R Shaffer, Mayor

Call or Email Below

David T. Daniels, State Represenative
District: 86
Term: 4th
Term Limit: Not eligible to run for another two-year term
Address:
77 S. High St
10th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215-6111
Phone: (614) 466-3506
Fax: (614) 719-6986
Email: district86@ohr.state.oh.us

John Carey, State Senator
District:17
Senate Building
Room #127, First Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Telephone: 614/466-8156
Email: SD17@senate.state.oh.us

My Letter:
Honorable Sen. John Carey & Honorable Representative David Daniels,

I understand that economic times are tough and that difficult choices must be made, however cutting 227 million dollars from libraries in Ohio is not the right decision to make.

Libraries are more than places you can check out a book. Libraries have become the backbone of our community, providing many services to the entire community. The Lynchburg Library is helping everyday, bridge a huge technology gap that is happening in society by offering the extensive use of computers and other forms of technology enabling citizens to educate and market themselves.

Your constituents rely heavily on their local libraries to provide educational and entertainment needs. People in your district are using the library to apply for jobs, learn how to build a resume and set up email accounts.

As the Mayor of a small Village, it is important for local growth and development. Our Library is part of a crumbling foundation that I work hard to repair and build on everyday. It is hard enough to attract business to a small community, which would provide for a local tax base and jobs. With the Lynchburg Library possibly closing, due to the proposed budget, it will be much harder to attract residents, and provide for the future of this small community. As you know, this area has been hit the hard with job losses due to the DHL relocation to Kentucky. My community needs to retain its library in order to make Lynchburg, Highland County, and Ohio strong again. Do not let our Governor’s Budget put another nail in the coffin of small communities.

Denying Lynchburg and your voters the use of their public library is not going to bring them up to speed with the challenges in today’s economy. I would like you to oppose the proposed budget cuts to the Public Library Fund. It’s wrong for libraries and wrong for Ohioans.

Respectfully,


Jeremy R Shaffer, Mayor

2 comments:

  1. By statute the state budget must be balanced but Governor Strickland's proposal to do so is extreme and the results will be devastating to Ohio's public libraries.

    We have learned (6/25) the Ohio General Assembly may take 7 to 30 days to decide whether or not to accept the Governor's proposal so by all means contact Governor Strickland's office and let him know how important public libraries are to Lynchburg, Highland County and Ohio.

    The public library is where people can access free, high-speed Internet to search for employment and information, to check out materials and to keep in touch with their family and friends.

    Jennifer West
    Highland County District Library

    ReplyDelete
  2. June 25th 3:08
    I Called the office number of Governor Strickland, given to me by Rep. Daniels office. I was calling in regards to the Library cuts. I wanted to discuss and voice my concern.

    The lady that answered the phone said "Governor Stricklands Office, how may I transfer your call."
    My response was "I would like to voice my concern about the proposed budget and Library cuts."
    She responded with " I wonder if people realize, never mind, o will pass your concern on thank you."
    I said" Is there a place I can send a letter,"
    She abruptly Hung Up.

    Really, that is not professional, even if there is disagreement and frustration.
    This happened 4 minutes ago. The Governors Office is not listening, in my opinion. I only wanted someone to take the time to respond to my concern, I am very reasonable. I encourage everyone call and voice there concern.Below I pasted an excerpt from the response from Rep. David T. Daniels. It contains Governor Stricklands contact number.

    "I will encourage you to contact Governor Strickland's office directly to express your displeasure with his proposed cuts to libraries. His office can be reached by dialing (614) 466-3555 or online by completing this contact form. It is important that Governor Strickland hears directly from the people he will be impacting by these devastating cuts." Erin Honnold, Rep. Daniels Legislative Aid

    Thank you Rep. Daniels for you assistance and understanding.

    ReplyDelete